SMITHFIELD, RI – Bryant University has received a STARS Silver rating in recognition of its sustainability achievements from the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE). STARS, the Sustainability Tracking, Assessment & Rating System, a reporting tool that provides a comprehensive set of metrics that track and encourage sustainability in all aspects of University campus activities, gave Bryant a rating of 52.5, up from its 2016 rating of 51.7.
“Another Silver rating from STARS solidifies our standing as an institution that cares about the environment and the well-being of its constituents.”
“Another Silver rating from STARS solidifies our standing as an institution that cares about the environment and the well-being of its constituents,” said Jim Vecchione, Executive Director of Facilities and Sustainability Committee leader. “This report reflects Bryant’s strong commitment to the success of sustainability on campus and I hope this success can be repeated and built upon for the future of our students, faculty, and staff.”
Bryant’s longstanding devotion to increasing the enthusiasm, policies, and practices supporting sustainability on campus has generated a shared sense of commitment to all facets of sustainability. From increasing energy efficiency, reducing water consumption, and expanding re-use and recycling programs, the campus-wide efforts include:
- integrating sustainability into the courses in the curriculum,
- diverting food waste generated in the dining hall to a local pig farm,
- establishing partnerships and events such as the Farmer’s Market at Bryant and Earth Day,
- incorporating sustainability into new student orientation,
- creating a Sustainability Committee and SustainUs – a student-run club,
- maintaining an active sustainability presence in Bryant University social media,
- developing the first LEED certified building in 2018,
- completing an annual comprehensive Sustainability Plan,
- offering a Sustainability Certificate to students who have completed a series of sustainability-related courses and activities,
- creating a Sustainability at Bryant Strategic Communications Internship for a qualified student,
- participating in annual programs such as the Green Office Cleanout and RecycleMania, a nationwide recycling content, where Bryant placed 9th in Food Organics and 8th in Per Capita Recycling this past year.
Founded in 2013, Bryant’s Sustainability Committee is comprised of 25 University representatives who are responsible for creating, implementing, and updating Bryant’s Sustainability Plan. This year, the Committee awarded the Integrated Certificate of Sustainability to Anthony DiMatteo ’19, Brianna LaGuardia ‘19, and Sydney Levine ’20, for their involvement in sustainability studies and service activities.
The Integrated Certificate of Sustainability was first presented in 2018 with a criteria set by the committee. To qualify, each student must complete four courses with sustainability content, projects addressing sustainability applications, and activities serving the Bryant community at large.
Unlike other rating or ranking systems, STARS is open to all institutions of higher education in the U.S. and Canada. The criteria that determines a STARS rating is transparent and accessible to anyone. Since STARS is a program based on credits earned, it allows for both internal comparisons as well as comparisons with similar institutions.
About Bryant University
Bryant University in Smithfield, R.I. is a leading private university offering an innovative and uniquely integrated business and liberal arts education. Founded in 1863, Bryant University has approximately 3,700 graduate and undergraduate students from 32 states and 66 countries. Bryant University is recognized as a leader in international education and regularly receives top rankings from U.S. News and World Report, Bloomberg Businessweek, Forbes, and Barron's. Visit www.Bryant.edu.
AASHE is an association of colleges and universities that are working to create a sustainable future. AASHE’s mission is to empower higher education to lead the sustainability transformation. It provides resources, professional development and a network of support to enable institutions of higher education to model and advance sustainability in everything they do, from governance and operations to education and research. For more information about AASHE, visit www.aashe.org.